1. Disconnect. Something about putting my phone away instantly makes me feel more calm. Especially having a job that relies on technology, I sometimes lose balance of work and leisure. By setting a few hours away from your phone, it will help you de-stress and clear your mind. Or if you need to have your phone available at all times, just simply put it on "Do Not Disturb". (Cause TBH, hearing my emails constantly go off throughout the day stresses me out.)
2. Learn to say "no". This is something I've learned to do overtime. But in the past, I used to overwhelm myself– whether it was signing up for too many classes in one semester or taking on too many projects and responsibilities. Know your limits and only take on what you know you can handle. Give enough time for work and yourself.
3. Laugh more. Surround yourselves with friends and loved ones! Don't try to handle all your stress by yourself. You need a break. Make the time to hang out with friends who make you forget about your worries!
4. Make an effort to sleep early. Sleep is essential and unfortunately many of us don't get enough of it. Trust me, I can relate. When you have a 10-page paper, 3 midterms, and a project due the next day, how could you possibly sleep right? But depriving your body from rest will not only make you feel more stressed, but just flat out exhausted.
5. Make time to do something you enjoy. All of us have busy schedules full of work, school, and other responsibilities. But you have to make the time aside from this to do something you love & enjoy. Whether that be blogging (like myself!), painting, or just simply listening to music in your room. No one is ever "too busy" to do something. It's the act of making the effort and time! Even if it's just an hour of your day.
6. Tackle one thing at a time. If you're worrying about your exams and projects due next month but haven't even finished this weeks duties– you're going to overwhelm yourself like crazy! Do what you can, one at a time. It's far more efficient and less stressful.
7. Stop trying to make everything perfect. I've been told I'm such a perfectionist. I always want to make sure everything is exactly how I want it. I guess in some cases, it's not necessarily a bad thing. But there are times when this urge to be perfect gets in the way. Accept the fact that not everything you do can be absolutely perfect. Do your best– that's what matters.
8. Make lists and utilize a calendar. Being organized has completely changed my daily routine. Having lists of what needs to get done every day makes me feel so motivated and worry free. And being able to cross off a task on your list feels so rewarding, right?!
9. Take a bath. This is my favorite was to manage stress. A perfect way to have "me" time with absolutely no distractions. I love being able to shut out the world for a little bit, relax in a bathtub, and catch up on some Netflix shows.
10. Just breathe. Deep-breathing exercises have become a daily routine of mine now. It just helps me take a small amount of time of my day to feel zen again. The best part is you can do this just about anywhere!